Friday, November 27, 2009

Y Turkey Trot

In a word: Exhilarating. As we were driving to the race my girlfriend mentioned she had never seen me in such a mood. It was a competition mood. I hadn't been in that frame of mind since high school swimming. It is exciting. I had goosebumps and my hands and feet were cold. I was a little worried though with rain and puddles on the ground. My feet were already a little cold as it was. Then I had to go to the bathroom before the race actually began. As I was walking up to the starting line the race began. Off and running. The first 5 minutes seemed so long. But then the rest of the race seemed to blur by.

Overall I felt like my pace was pretty good. I didn't run out of steam before the end of the race. Even after the sprint to the end I was winded, but not lactic acidy. I am pretty sure that I ran much better than the 30 minutes I was shooting for.


Then after the race, I was expecting to be able to get my time. Buuuttt... They didn't post them that day. Apparently only the fastest people that get trophies have their times known. I have to wait until Monday to get mine back. I was expecting swim meet style where the times are posted as the sheets fill up.

Overall it was a great first 5K. I had a couple people ask me about my shoes. They seemed intrigued. I can imagine, especially because I was the only one there with them. Not having been in the running community very long, I figured that they were something that a bunch of other people would be doing. Oh well. I love my five fingers. Wouldn't be able to run without them.

As for the picture... Cara didn't get me crossing the finish line. The race went a little faster than she anticipated, and there were over 1,000 people. Just as it was my first race running, it was hers photographing. We will both get better =D.

No comments:

Post a Comment