Thursday, June 3, 2010

FIRE!!!

Holy Crap! Tonight, sans my girlfriend, I decided to roast some marshmallows. Make some S'more on the fire pit. I had it moved over to my bedroom, away from the brush I cleared. A small ember, I didn't even see it, must have flew over to the brush. Over or around two SUV's. Luckily I had the hose hooked up. I immediately tried to cool the core of the fire.

The brush was clearly the reducing agent. The heat came from my S'more fire =( the self-sustained chemical reaction and oxidizing agent were quite clear. As soon as I saw an orange glow beyond the trucks, I grabbed the garden hose. I didn't even think to call 911 because it was a small fire I was sure I could contain.

A neighbor yelled that he had called 911 and I could already hear the sirens in the distance. I was so thankful. When the firefighters arrived I had gotten rid of all of the live flames. The only exhaust gas was steam. I was cooling the core. They were able to cool the core more rapidly than I could have ever hoped. Steam was everywhere. At least I could breathe in the steam.

After all of the heat had been taken out of the equation, the brush was raked over and cooled again. Lastly, the fire pit, which originally threw the ember, was extinguished. I am sure I will only be making S'mores on my stove from now on.

My sincerest thanks and appreciation go out to the Baltimore County Fire Department for their help in my time of need. I tried to offer the crew a donation check and cash for some ice cream but their crew chief kindly declined saying that is what I pay my taxes for. He clearly loves his job, and I could not ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment